If you are looking for legal services.
Our representation of early-stage companies often focuses, at least initially, on the following:
- Creating the business using the most effective/efficient choice of legal entity.
- Helping the founders establish fair and well-constructed agreements.
- Transferring underlying intellectual property to the business, including negotiations with inventors, universities and other technology owners
- Building compensation and incentive arrangements for current and future employees.
- Identifying, attracting and negotiating all stages of funding -- from seed-stage to public offerings, with an emphasis on friends/family, angel investor and venture capital funding -- but with full knowledge of the ins-and-outs of SBIRs, STTRs, etc.
In addition, we actively help our clients -- directly or through interdisciplinary teams -- draw on the expertise of other groups within McCarter and English to:
- Effectively manage employment issues, including compensation and benefit plans, immigration issues, compliance matters, etc.
- Create programs to aggressively protect the company's IP through patents, trademarks, trade secrets, copyrights, etc.
- Address all manner of day-to-day legal matters, contracts, leases, etc. and resolve day-to-day legal claims and disputes.
- Assist with tax issues, as well as work with both the company and its founders to minimize taxation at all levels.
- Bankruptcy and restructuring
- Business litigation
- Business technology and complex sourcing
- Class action/multidistrict litigation
- Construction and infrastructure
- Corporate, securities and business transactions
- Crisis management
- Cybersecurity and data privacy
- Environment and energy
- Executive compensation
- Family law
- Franchising and distribution law
- Government contracts and export controls
- Government investigations and white-collar criminal defense
- Impact investing
- Insurance coverage
- Intellectual property/information technology
- Labor and employment law
- Product liability
- Project development and finance
- Public finance
- Public strategy
- Real estate
- Tax and employee benefits
- Trusts, estates and private clients
- Venture capital and emerging growth companies